Application deadline: March 1
Boston Meditation Center is looking for a part-time Managing Director to join our small but dedicated team. Working closely with the Guiding Teacher and Program Coordinator, the Managing Director oversees all operational activities for the organization and will have the opportunity to have an integral role in the future growth of BMC.
We are looking for someone ideally in the Boston-metro area who has a Dharma practice, wishes to explore service as practice, and wants to work in a supportive environment where together we work to integrate wisdom and kindness into our leadership presence.
The ideal candidate will have experience in marketing and fundraising, non-profit management and leadership, and social media and/or email promotion.
This is a part-time role, with the expectation of approximately 7–10 hours of work per week and room to grow in the future. BMC offers a stipend for this position relative to experience.
In the near term, the Managing Director will be a remote position, working alongside other staff from home as BMC continues to offer its programs virtually due to the pandemic. However the Managing Director, as an important leader in the BMC community, will have an office and social presence at the new Boston Meditation Center when it is safe to be together in person again.
If you are interested in applying, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Director” in the subject line.
Social Media, Email, and Website Marketing
- Manage marketing calendar
- Draft and send program newsletter & bulletin emails
- Coordinate creation of marketing materials on schedule with design volunteer for print and using Canva.com for social media
- Update website with new program content & registration, and any other updates
- Manage web developer as needed for more complex website updates
- Post regularly on Facebook and Instagram
- Run ads on Facebook and Instagram to increase program registration, brand awareness, and social media followers
- Manage comments and respond to messages on social media
- Point on all monthly invoices, including staff payments, visiting teacher dana (payments), and contractor fees
- Track and update organizational cash flow and budget through Quickbooks every month, flagging any issues or questions for Board Treasurer
- Manage volunteer staff
- Oversee any other organizational needs such as payroll, insurance, and taxes
- Oversee community fundraising (which may involve donor cultivation via email, print, social media, or in-person events)
- Scope out possible funding from foundations and help manage grant applications as appropriate
Thursday Evening Classes
- Manage Thursday night volunteer scheduling (openers and announcements)
- Online: Serve as Zoom admin, signing on early, letting people in from the waiting room, recording sessions, and muting as needed
- In person: Ensure enough flyers for upcoming retreats are distributed on Thursday nights and all other BMC events
- In person: Help coordinate Thursday night dana deposits
- In person: Add new email sign-ups from Thursday nights to the email list
- Manage retreat center reservations and payments, and serve as primary contact between centers and BMC
- Serve as the liaison between BMC and all scheduled guests and visiting teachers, ensuring they have information about dana, travel, and other logistics
- Manage Program Coordinator
- Serve as primary manager for half-day retreats, pulling in other volunteers and training as program managers as needed
- Add new emails from all programs to the email list
Guiding Teacher Assistance
- Assist Guiding Teacher in ongoing project work, as needed
- Currently this means assisting the move into the new space, picking up mail, etc.